BECOMING A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER
We are excited to welcome you to our team of dedicated substitute teachers. WUSD substitutes help fulfil our District vision: EVERY CHILD HAS HOPE, EVERY STUDENT IS A GRADUATE, EVERY GRADUATE HAS A DREAM.
Job Description: To continue student learning in the absence of the classroom teacher; to establish effective rapport with students assigned to the classroom, to motivate pupils to develop attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good educational foundation, in accordance with each pupil’s ability; to establish good relationships with other staff members. This page will help you begin the process as you work with our Human Resources Department.
Start with these steps:
1) Obtain a Fingerprint Clearance Card by following the online application through the Department of Public Safety http://www.azdps.gov/services/public/fingerprint
2) After you have a Fingerprint Clearance Card, apply for a substitute Certificate through the Arizona Department of Education. http://www.azed.gov/educator-certification/forms-and-information/certificates
REQUIREMENTS for the Substitute, PRE-K Teaching Certificate
ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION CERTIFICATION UNIT
certificate is valid for 6 years and is renewable
- Substitute Pre K-12 Certificate
- Completed application for certification
- Appropriate fee (See Application for Certification)
- A photocopy of your valid Arizona Department of Public Safety Identity Verified Prints (IVP) fingerprint card. For more information visit https://www.azed.gov/educator-certification/fingerprint-clearance-card-
- Note: Certificate entitles the holder to substitute in the temporary absence of a regular contract teacher. An individual holding only a Substitute certificate shall not be assigned a contract teaching position and shall be limited to teaching 120 days in the same school each year. Substitute teaching may not be used to waive the student teaching practicum.